Friday, June 15, 2012

Mountain Sound

Happy Friday!

Something new for you (and me) today.

Of Monsters and Men is a folk-pop band from Iceland, apparently. I first hear them yesterday. The song is called Mountain Sound. It's driven by a cheery pulse and an uplifting melody, and made intriguing through use of accordion and trumpet, among other things.
This group blends wonderfully. Each instrument plays a specific role, and nobody is stepping on toes or showing off. When the chorus hits everyone sings in unison, something I'm certain their audience is always encouraged to do. Even the lead singers, one male one female, both of whom have unique voices, blend well together when singing harmonies. The female lead through the chorus just grabs me. This applies more to the live version I first heard (link below) than to the album version. Singing live she delivers her lines like a whip, bright and sharp.

If you're into the "indie" scene this is a group you should definitely check out. And if you want a breezy song for a Friday afternoon, I highly suggest Mountain Sound.

 Mountain Sound: live

3 comments: