Friday, June 15, 2012

The Way You Look Tonight

The idea here is that I review one song a day, and you (whoever you are) read my thoughts about it. I have no song-picking system, other than it's got to be something I'm excited about. Obviously this is compelling reading that you absolutely need in your life, so I'll get right to it!

Today's song is The Way You Look Tonight, from Jim Hall's mid-70s recording Jim Hall Live!.

This is one of those jazz standards that was originally written for a movie; in this case Swing Time, a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers flick. Jim Hall and the Toronto musicians on this album take the simple tune and turn it into something magical. When I first heard it, I closed my eyes and slipped into a trance. Everything about it, from the understated introduction, to the playful call and response of the guitar and bass, to the sizzling, ocean-wave cymbals made me tingle. As well, the sound on this recording hasn't aged a bit. If I didn't know this was recorded in the seventies I would never have believed it. Part of Jim's sound is his simple approach to instrumentation and instruments. His clear, lightly amplified tone just doesn't go out of style.

This is a jazz tune. It's over six minutes long and has a lot of improvisation. There is no vocalist, the bass doesn't "drop" and you can't (or maybe just shouldn't) dance to it. What this song does have is hugely talented musicians, an atmosphere of shared delight, and a very humble moment from Jim himself buried in the back of the mix at the end. Listen to it if you're a jazz student, are interested in live recordings, or want a song that will set a relaxing mood. But mostly just listen to it.

Work was rough today, this song made it better. Thanks Mr. Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment